Careers & Scholarships
Helping the industry attract and retain a qualified workforce is a major area of work for the association and we have undertaken many programs and initiatives to further that cause, including:
– Supporting automotive students with scholarships ($14,000 in 2016 alone).
– Founding and funding Minnesota Careers in Automotive Repair and Service (MNCARS), an outreach and marketing initiative created to raise awareness of career opportunities and recruit people into technical college automotive education programs (collision and mechanical) and industry jobs. The campaign will help students, parents, teachers and guidance counselors overcome misperceptions about the industry and attract the qualified employees the industry needs.
– Reaching out to high school automotive teachers to offer program support and connect them to local AASP-MN members who want to help.
– Educating school counselors about automotive career opportunities, including an article about automotive careers in the Minnesota School Counselors Association (MSCA) newsletter and participation in the MSCA annual conference.
– Developing an employee assessment tool that helps members screen job applicants to ensure that they’re a good fit for the shop and effectively manage employees from day one on the job.
– Representing the industry on Advisory Committees of technical college and high school automotive programs.
– Serving on the Executive Board of the Minnesota Transportation Center, a state-funded initiative to fulfill the workforce needs of the transportation industry through partnerships among business, industry and education.
Today's auto industry offers ample opportunities for careers, not just jobs
A two-year degree in automotive service or collision technology opens the door to a variety of career paths within the industry.
Automotive technicians enjoy a technology-oriented career in which computer diagnostics and complex electronic systems keep them learning and problem-solving every day. Service advisors and collision repair estimators answer questions and guide customers through the process of having their vehicles repaired or maintained. Other in-demand career options include parts professionals and automotive machinists. You could even own your own business some day.
Whatever path you choose, technology and customer service will be paramount. You'll have a rewarding career with the opportunity for growth and advancement. You'll enjoy stable employment that allows you to work anywhere in the country - or the world.
Visit www.carcareers.org to learn more about high-demand automotive service and collision repair careers and find a position that lets you do what you love.
There's a Job That's Right for You!
Mechanical repair technician
Collision repair technician
In a Place That's Right For You!
Collision and mechanical repair facilities
New car dealers
Manufacturers and distributors
AASP-MN is no longer accepting scholarship applications for this year. Please check back after January 1, 2018, for additional scholarship opportunities.
Thanks to the generous response of AASP-MN members during fundraising drives for the association's Automotive Education Fund, AASP-MN awards $1,000 scholarships each fall to students enrolled in post-secondary automotive (mechanical and collision repair) programs.
Recipients must be entering the second year of a two-year NATEF-certified automotive program in the fall. Applications are reviewed by a committee of industry representatives, with consideration given to scholastic achievement, education and career goals, financial need and written recommendations each March.
For additional information, call the AASP-MN office at (612)623-1110 or (800)852-9071.
For other automotive-related scholarships: SEMA, Global Automotive Aftermarket Symposium, and Collision Education Foundation.
MN Technical Colleges
The following technical colleges offer programs in automotive education. Check one of them out today to get the training needed to begin a career in this exciting industry!
Anoka Technical College
1355 W. Hwy. 10
Anoka, MN 55303
3300 Century Ave. N
White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Dunwoody College of Technology
818 Wayzata Blvd.
Minneapolis, MN 55403
Central Lakes College
501 W. College Dr.
Brainerd, MN 56407
Hibbing Community College
1515 E. 25th St.
Hibbing, MN 55746
Lake Superior College
2101 Trinity Rd.
Duluth, MN 55811
Minnesota State College Southeast Technical
PO Box 409
Winona, MN 55987
Minnesota State Community & Technical College
1900 28th Ave. S
Moorhead, MN 56560
Minnesota West Community & Technical College
401 West St.
Jackson, MN 56143
Northland Community & Technical College
1101 US Hwy. E
Thief River Falls, MN 56701
Northwest Technical College
905 Grant Ave. SE
Bemidji, MN 56601
Pine Technical College
1000 4th St.
Pine City, MN 55063
Riverland Community College
2200 Riverland Dr.
Albert Lea, MN 56007
Rochester Community & Technical College
851 30th Ave. SE
Rochester, MN 55901
Saint Cloud Technical College
1540 Northway Dr.
St. Cloud, MN 56303